Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Golden Age of Gangsterism

Much as Athens had a golden age for learning and intellectual advancement, America had a golden age during the 1920's, yet its fruit were not quite as pleasant. In 1920, the Prohibition (aka Noble Experiment) kicked off. However, the deep-seeded tradition of Strong American drink, as well as that of the "wet" cultures mixing in, proved to be too powerful.



The power-vacuum throne, where old brewers used to sit, was suddenly up for grabs. In this case in history, mobsters where the type of me who seized power. Working against the law, or even with it depending on whose hands received money, the vicious business men ruled major cities, like Chicago. Say hi to Al!
No, he's not happy to see you. And don't ever surprise him. He is understandably jumpy at times...
Oh, and wave to the nice police man!



Wait nevermind, the policeman is jumpy too.

Not only did gangsters cater to the public's thirst, they also appeased many other facets of less-than-agreeable society. These crime lords soon expanded their empires into the "markets" for prostitution, gambling, and narcotics.

Another less popular activity upheld by gangsters was the practice of racketeering. Shop or business owners were forced to pay protection money to ensure the safety of their store, selves, and customers.
Needless to say, it was creepy and bad..

These crimes were being committed on a massive scale unproportional to the number of trials and convictions, until the Lindbergh incident where the American aviator hero's son was kidnapped and murdered during a ransom. From here on out, public opinion condemned gangsterism while governments put into place harsher legislation to limit its effects and growth.

No longer is this cuddly thief seen as defiantly American!


We see you for who you really are....

13 comments:

  1. I like the Doughboys, and I did not know about Charles Lindbergh's son before. I also never knew about the connection gangs had with the prohibition movement

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever way of putting things, much better than I. Have anyone else noticed how most leaders of gangs are chubby to a certain extent?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely hilarious. I loved it. It was funny and effective at the same time, with lots of pitures as well. Capone looked very unhappy. And Brendan of course they are, they steal peoples lunch money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, a post very similar in nature to mine! We definitely proved that Americans were not on their best behavior during those Roarin' Twenties! and I never knew Doughboy had such a dark side to him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, this has to be one of the funniest posts I've seen. Somehow I knew that you would have fun with this section...anyway, I think that your post did a good job of pointing out some of the lesser-known facts and details about gangsters like Al Capone (who by the way shares my birthday...).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything seemed to be getting more extreme in this era. This was a great blog post with some quite memorable pictures. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Others have already noted it but this has to be the funniest freudian slip of all time:
    "In this case in history, mobsters where the type of me who seized power"
    I'm not assuming you meant "men." Who knows? You probably did mean "me." It can only be further evidence of your nascent ability to control minds that so few of your readers noticed the odd word choice. An excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness! An evil doughboy!? What's the matter with you! I love the history of gangsters! It's so fun! However, most of the Americans loved all of the gangsters for taking back what they deserved. Americans were crazy right? Right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Joe, Al Capone likes to fish too. The post was great, especially the pictures cuz' they were memorable (and still are...) I understand that it is power that you seek but did you mean men or me? "In this case in history, mobsters where the type of me who seized power."

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was unaware the type of me wanted to be a gangster! Anyways, your blog did a good job coerving everything in fluent sentences. I also enjoyed your visual metaphor at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would be worried if I lived in a city during these times. I would walk around with my finger on my danger whistle and blow it anytime I felt threatened.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post made me L.O.L. Thanks! You know, I have always been really fascinated by the mafia. BUT not in a bad way: like I wanna join..NO! In a that is really interesting kind of way...THANKS FOR THE INFO!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brent, if you are referring to a golden age, do you mean chains, medallions, and rings that gangsters wore? Anyway, Capone was powerful. I wouldn't want to be near him. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete