Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Question 11

11. During King Philip’s War, significant numbers of Native Americans sided with the English. How do you regard those who took up arms against their fellow natives? Do you see them as treacherous, opportunistic, or merely sensible? If you had been a native, which side would you have taken, and why?

As explained in the previous comment, the Native Americans that were trying to remain neutral had been placed into a very awkward position between two murderous opponents. In this case, I would say that I can only judge the groups as a whole and, as a whole (a community resembling an organism in my mind), I would expect them to survive in the best way possible. With that said, I see them being intelligent and sensible even if that means arming against fellow natives. And besides, they never really had any connection as a Native American community, so it's not as if each tribesman were turning on his brother. As for the side I would choose, my choice would lay with Phillip because, though he set it up to happen, I see Phillip and his people (and ultimately mine) having alot more to lose than just land. I would go on the offense for my way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment